Monday, April 18, 2011

Mid-April update 4/18

I’ve run the SV in 2 track days at Grand Sport Speedway (GSS) with Fastline Motorcycle School.  Now I’m addicted.  I’ve run these 2 with the stock suspension.  I had a suspension guy check my sag at the first event.  That pretty much just resulted in screwing the front preload in all the way and setting the rear shock preload on 5 out of 7 with 7 being the maximum.  It helped a little bit but it wasn’t great.  On the 2nd track day I could tell right from the start that the suspension was going to limit my confidence.  I was able to manage ok but I’m looking forward to some improvements.

By the end of the first day I was actually able to get my knee down in some of the corners and was feeling pretty confident.  If I hadn’t been so darn tired I probably would have done even better.  Riding on a track and moving around the seat is hard work!  However, on the second track day I was lightly putting a knee down in the 2nd session.  We were going too slow in the first session to get that much lean angle.  Somehow I ended up being the only student with my instructor so I got some kick ass 1 on 1 instruction.  We would catch the slower groups and pull into the pits for some spacing.  Then we’d take off and catch them again a few laps later.

So all in all, it’s been a lot of fun.  The next track day is 4/30 at GSS again, then we’re already signed up for an event at MSR Houston on 5/7.  It’s a bigger 2.7 mile track instead of the 1.3 miles at GSS.

Right now the SV is at a local shop getting RaceTech springs and valve emulators in the front, and an Ohlin’s shock/spring in the rear.  This should help high speed corner entry a LOT.  Stay tuned for updates on that, as well as more pictures when it gets back from the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment