Friday, January 28, 2011

First Fill Up

I had over 100 miles on the odometer since getting the SV.  It also had the same gas it had when I picked it up and I had no idea how old that gas was.  So, I stopped to fill it up with 89 octane.  87 is the minimum but I decided to put in 89 to try to make up for any staleness of the old fuel in the tank.  I started filling it up and it stopped pretty quickly.  I turned around to put the hose up and saw that it had only taken 1.88 gallons for the 4.6 gallon tank.  I did the math and that comes out to a mileage of about 54 mpg.  I was impressed. 

I also had some SeaFoam and Berryman B-12 with me in my tank bag, and I put a couple of ounces of those in the tank too.  That combo should take care of just about anything wrong with the fuel from moisture, staleness, and fuel injector cleaning.

Overall I’m still impressed with this “little” motorcycle so far.  It’s more spirited than the VFR and as I get the tires scrubbed in I’m starting to take corners more aggressively.  I can tell it still doesn’t have a cutting-edge suspension and neither does the VFR, but the light weight still makes it feel better than the VFR in a corner.  I still need to get it out on the road for a good weekend ride, but the weather just isn’t wanting to cooperate lately on the weekend when I have free time.  It looks like this will be the case tomorrow and Sunday too.

No comments:

Post a Comment